Picture Of Thomas McCarroll
Picture Of Thomas McCarroll
1889 Marriage License Docket For GrandPap Phil and GrandMom Mary … married on the 15th October in Saint Mary’s Catholic Church Pittsburgh PA
Source: Alton Evening Telegraph, September 24, 1907
Charles, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Philip McCarroll, died at the home of the parents at 1211 East Fifth street at 4 o’clock, Monday afternoon. The little one was one year old. The funeral will take place from the St. Patrick’s church at 2:30 o’clock, Wednesday afternoon.
Father: Philip McCarroll (1860 – 1947)
Mother: Mary O’Brien McCarroll (1864 – 1912)
James Leo McCarroll (1890 – 1973)
Daniel Francis McCarroll (1892 – 1930)
Edward Bryan McCarroll (1893 – 1937)
Thomas Joseph McCarroll (1895 – 1967)
Margaret E McCarroll (1897 – 1967)
Mary K McCarroll Curnow (1898 – 1972)
Catherine Ann McCarroll (1901 – 1901)
Sarah Ann McCarroll McLaughlin (1903 – 1961)
Joseph T. McCarroll (1905 – 1966)
George L McCarroll (1908 – 1959)
On October 28, 1895 John Stuehling marries Ellen D. McCarroll In Pittsburgh PA
Saint John The Baptist Catholic Church – Monaca PA
Parish History (information derived from parish archive)
Before 1888, those of Catholic faith in Monaca (then called Phillipsburg) had to make their way to Rochester or Beaver, PA to attend Mass. To better serve these people of faith, St. John the Baptist was founded and work was begun on a church in the autumn of 1888. The church was a mission of St. Cecilia Parish in Rochester, PA, until 1891, when the first resident pastor was assigned to the parish in August of that year. The parish had a resident pastor until 1900. It then became a mission church of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, Beaver, PA. Finally in 1907, the mission of St. John the Baptist again was assigned a resident pastor.
Construction of the first church
began in the Fall of 1888.
The second church, formerly the Lyceum,
was converted in May of 1913.
The first church building served the congregation until 1913. With the areas growth in population the existing structure was too small to meet the needs of the congregation. The parish lyceum, which had been built in 1910, was converted into a church and dedicated on August 3, 1913. This second church eventually proved inadequate space as well. Meanwhile, in the early 1920s land was purchased for use as a parish cemetery. On May 4, 1930, the cornerstone for a new church was laid and on May 30, 1932, the new church was dedicated. This beautiful structure built for the glory of God continues to serve the congregation of the parish.
Died: Jun. 21, 1935
Monaca, Pennsylvania, USA
James McArdle McCarroll (1841 – 1892)
Catherine Bridget Dooley McCarroll (1840 – 1883)
John Stuehling (1898 – 1963)
Stephen Ralph Stuehling (1902 – 1977)
Saint John The Baptist Cemetery
Find A Grave Memorial# 99077816
Stephen Ralph Stuehling Sr.. 74 of 1506 Indiana Ave Monaca PA died Saturday
August 27, 1977 in the East Liverpool Ohio Extended Care Facility following an illness of one year.
Born October 14, 1902 in Pittsburgh, son of the late John and Ellen McCarroll Stuehling
he resided in Monaca for 50 years and a retired employee of the Pittsburgh Tube Company, a member of Saint John The Baptist Catholic Church, a life member of the Turners, both of Monaca. A member of B.P.O.E. and LOOM lodges both of Rochester
and FOE Nest Rochester and the FOE Nest Monaca. He is preceded in death by his wife Catherine O’Brien Stuehling and a brother John, September 1963.
Grandson of James McCarroll
The McCarroll’s arrived in America circa 1866 and resided in Pittsburgh PA. Here are a few photo’s of the time.
The 1910 U.S. Census for Alton Illinois and the twin brothers – Philip and Thomas and families.
St. Mary was founded in 1853. The origin of the parish can be traced to the population growth of the then village of Lawrenceville (which was absorbed by the city of Pittsburgh in 1867). Until St. Mary was established, local Catholics traveled to either St. Patrick in the Strip District or St. Joseph in Sharpsburg. On September 1, 1853, a meeting was held by local Catholics to request the establishment of a parish. The bishop agreed and on November 14, land was purchased for a church. On January 23, 1854, the new church was dedicated.
At first the church also doubled as a school, but within a year a separate school was built. The continuing growth of the congregation required an expansion of the church building in 1863. The building was rededicated on August 16, 1863. Even enlarging the church soon proved inadequate Work on a new, larger church began in 1873. The cornerstone of the church was laid on June 23, 1873 and the completed church was dedicated on April 19, 1874.
In 1906 the church was renovated and new stained glass windows installed. In 1920, the shrine to St. Anne was added to the church. The building was reconditioned in 1946 and again in the period from November 1969 to December 1971.
As the rise of population in the nineteenth century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of population near the end of the twentieth century led to its suppression. In 1993, St. Mary was merged with three other parishes to form the new Our Lady of the Angels parish. At first, St. Mary church remained open and served the new parish. However, it soon became obvious that the new parish could not support three church buildings. St. Mary church closed in November of 2004. In 2007 the Catholic Cemeteries Association purchased the church building and in 2010 began work to convert the building to a combined cemetery chapel and mausoleum.
Note: The McCarroll Family Church In Pittsburgh from 1866 – 2004 when it closed
Copyrighted by the Pittsburgh Catholic Archdiocese
Birth: Jul. 31, 1891 – Tarentum Allegheny County Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Aug. 1, 1975 – Terre Haute Vigo County Indiana, USA
Thomas McCarroll (1860 – 1936)
Johanna O’Brien McCarroll (1860 – 1928)
Burial: Calvary Cemetery – Terre Haute Indiana, USA
Born to Thomas & Johanna McCarroll – November 15, 1893
Died on June 30, 1974 in Cook County, Illinois
Grandson of Thomas & Mary McCarroll
Stella is the daughter of Philip and Lula McCarroll
Johanna and Mary (O’Brien) were sisters
Paul A. Davis (1915 – 2004)
Richard T. Cook – “Rick”
Passed unexpectedly, at home on Wednesday, March 06, 2013, age 61, of Ross Township. Beloved husband of Nancy “Jean” Cook; loving father of Ashley Cook Lytton (Seth); “Poppy” of Parker Lytton; brother of Linda McEnery, Maureen McGraw, and C. Roy, Kevin, Adrienne, Neil, Colleen, Joel, Erin, Brian and Paul Cook; also survived by many nieces and nephews. Friends received at MCCABE BROS., INC. FUNERAL HOME, (www.mccabe brothers.com) 6214 Walnut Street, Shadyside, on Friday, 1-9 p.m., where Funeral will commence on Saturday at 11:30 am, followed by Mass of Christian Burial in St. Raphael Church at 12:30 pm. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the American Heart Association .
Rick’s Great Great Great Grandfather Philip McCarroll is this author’s as well.
When Thomas and Mary McArdle arrived in the USA during 1866 Great Great Grandfather Thomas found work in the growing glass works in Pittsburgh Pa. As their four (4) son’s grew they found work in the same glass works. Twin brothers Thomas And Philip moved to Alton Illinois following the glass trade, James Joseph located to Steubenville Ohio and Patrick remained in Pittsburgh.
Before steel making filled the sky with the dark clouds of early 20th century industry, Pittsburgh was creating glass. As early as the 1820s Pittsburgh was a major distributor of glass products. Pittsburgh glass was used for globes that lit the nation’s streets, windows for homes, and jars for food. Being located along three rivers, Pittsburgh made good use of the waterways. It all started with three immigrants: Albert Gallatin, James O’Hara, and Benjamin Bakewell. By the Civil War, Pittsburgh’s glass trade was a $7 million business with 20 bottle and vial factories, 23 window glass factories, 22 flint glass factories, and a number of glass producers devoted exclusively to the production of chimneys. Invention was the key to Pittsburgh’s success in glass manufacturing. Over 100 patents were secured by Pittsburgh’s glassmakers.
Above is copyrighted by PopularPittsburgh.com