ABOUT COUNTY LOUTH – IRELAND
LOUTH County, the smallest in Ireland, bounded on the east by the Irish Sea, on the west by the counties of Monaghan and Meath, on the north by Carlingford Bay and the county of Armagh, and on the south by that of Meath. Its greatest length in direction of south by west is twenty-eight miles; and its greatest breadth west by north is eighteen; comprehending an area of 202,731 acres; of which 80,216 are under tillage; 91,591 in pasture land; 4,317 plantations; 25,910 occupied by towns, waste, bog, mountain, &c.; and 697 covered by water.
Prior to the Union, Louth sent ten representatives to the Irish Parliament; two for the county at large, and two each for the boroughs of Ardee, Carlingford, Dundalk and Dunleer. At the period referred to, all the boroughs were disfranchised except Dundalk, which, until 1885, sent one member to the Imperial Parliament. The County is now divided, and named North and South. North Louth (including Dundalk) has 6 polling places:- Dundalk, Hackballscross, Ravensdale, Carlingford, Louth, and Dromiskin, with in 1915 a constituency of 5,701 Parliamentary Voters; total, including Local Government Voters, 7,066. South Louth (including Drogheda) has eight polling places. Viz: – Castlebellingham, Ardee, Dunleer, Collon, Mell, Termonfeckin, Drogheda and Reaghstown, with a constituency of 4,970 Parliamentary Voters; total, including Local Government Voters, 6,557. The Local Government Voters are principally women.